The last few weeks have been unprecedented due to the COVID-19 health crisis and its impact on many aspects of our life, including donation and transplantation. With nearly 2,000 people in Colorado and Wyoming waiting for lifesaving transplants, your community needs you, now more than ever to show your support for organ, eye and tissue donation.
Even amidst these challenging times, Coloradoans and Wyomingites’ giving spirit has remained strong. People in our communities keep supporting each other and saying Yes to donation. This is no surprise since Colorado is the state with the most registered organ, eye and tissue donors (69% of the population) and Wyoming is among the top 5 (63% of the population.) This is great news, but we still need more people to say Yes to saving lives with organ, eye and tissue donation.
Why signing up to be a donor is important during these times:
Nearly 2,000 people in Colorado and Wyoming are waiting for lifesaving organ transplants, and their illnesses don’t pause, even amidst the pandemic. Thousands more are in need of lifesaving and healing tissue transplants to lead full, healthy lives. That’s why your community needs you, now more than ever, to show your support for donation and transplantation. Signing up as an organ, eye and tissue donor is the first step and gives hope to the hundreds of mothers, fathers, sons, grandparents, neighbors and friends in our communities that are in need of lifesaving transplants.
Here’s how You can show your support in meaningful ways:
- Sign up as a donor: If you haven’t yet, sign up today! You can sign up online anytime without leaving your house at DonateLifeColorado.org or DonateLifeWyomingorg. Moreover, you can still sign up when you go to your local driver license office. Remember, things may look different at your local office, so learn what precautions are in place prior to your visit.
- Already registered? Be sure to discuss donation with your loved ones and help your community by encouraging those closest to you to sign up. Take advantage of your video chats or phone calls with loved ones or your weekly virtual happy hour with friends; bring up the fact that you are a registered donor and challenge them to show their support as well by signing up.
- Join us at our community events: Although we are apart, we can be together virtually to show our support of donation and transplantation. We are proud of all we are doing to still celebrate the gift of life together while being safe. Check out our upcoming events: 2020 Donor Dash and the Scavenger Hunt and join us from your homes and neighborhoods. We can’t wait to celebrate with you!
- Sign up as a Volunteer : Have you thought about volunteering with us? Well, now is the perfect time for you to sign up as a volunteer and event go through the training virtually. That way you’ll be ready to go and can help us when we resume our work in the community. Visit our volunteer page to sign up.
- Spread the word during these times: We know things look a bit different now and, while we can’t meet in person as usual, you can still help us raise awareness by displaying your support for others to see:
- Wear your Donate Life Colorado, Donate Life Wyoming or other Donate Life event attire when walking at the park, biking or grocery shopping.
- Like us on social media and commit to sharing good news! Our stories feature second-chances at life, hope renewed and the truths of donation and transplantation.
- Place the Donate Life twibbon on your Facebook profile picture to virtually share how you support the gift of life.
Now that you know your community needs you, show your support for donation and transplantation! We invite you to take action and get involved in any way that you can. Every little show of support helps and brings good to your local community. Let’s work together, though apart, to continue to spread the message that organ, eye and tissue donation saves lives. Pick one way in which you can show your support today and run with it! As always, thank you for your continued support, for thinking of others and keeping hope alive by signing up as a donor. Stay strong, stay safe and say Yes to organ, eye and tissue donation.