A note to the families of donors:
Saving lives through organ and tissue donation would not be possible without the generosity and cooperation of donor families. It is a vital part of our mission to ensure that donor families have the information and support they need. The goal of the Aftercare Program at Donor Alliance is to provide continuing support. A list of our initial and ongoing services is provided below.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Aftercare Coordinator at:
Toll free: 888-868-4747
- Mailings: An informational Packet and other letters from Donor Alliance are sent throughout the first 18 months after a loved one’s death.
- Survey: This is an opportunity for donor families to provide feedback and effect how we provide care to future donor families. If you’re loved one became a donor through Donor Alliance within the last year and you would like to take the survey, please follow this link: Donor Family Survey.
- Donor Family Tribute: A memorial event is held in early summer honoring the lives and legacies of donors. Families are invited for the first time within 6-12 months after their loved one’s death and donation. If a donor family does not attend the first year they are invited, they are invited again the following year. If you were unable to attend during these first years, please let us know that you would like to be invited to the next year’s event and we will send an invitation to you as the date approaches.
- Correspondence with Recipients: The families of organ donors can choose to write to their loved one’s recipients at any time. The families of tissue donors will have the opportunity to respond to any correspondence that is initiated by recipients. Please contact us if you are unsure if your loved one was an organ or tissue donor. For information on how organ donor families can send a letter to their loved one’s recipients, please visit: Corresponding With Recipients.
- Updates on Recipients: Upon the request of a donor family, Donor Alliance can provide limited information about organ recipients and limited information about how many people have been and will be healed through tissue donation. For more on the distinction between organ and tissue donation, please contact us. Requests can be made by phone, email, or online.
- Finding Grief Support: Donor Alliance can provide you with information and tools to help find grief support for yourself or someone in your family. Please contact us for assistance.
- Donor Quilts: The Rocky Mountain Threads of Life quilts commemorate individuals who have given the gift of life through the donation of organs and/or tissue. Each square of the quilt is created by a donor family to represent the thoughts and feelings a family member has about their loved one. The quilts are displayed at special community outreach events throughout Colorado and Wyoming to celebrate those who gave the gift of life and to encourage people to register to be organ and tissue donors. For information on how to submit to the quilt, visit: Contribute to the Donor Family Quilt Project.
- Donor Dash: A 5K run/walk held in July to honor the lives of organ and tissue donors, celebrate the lives of organ and tissue recipients and recognize those who continue to wait for a lifesaving transplant. For more information please visit: Donor Dash.